History of Markhouse Road

Markhouse road was originally called Markhouse lane, it was changed in 1875. It was named after Mark House which stood on the site of numbers 214- 252 and was demolished in 1898.

The Mark House area had a house there from the thirteenth century: it changed hands many times, belonging at one time to the nuns of St Helen's Bishopsgate.

The name comes from the words 'maerc' which means boundary - part of the manor was in the parish of Leyton, part in Walthamstow and the house stood beside one of the boundary stones.

There used to be two commons in Walthamstow one was Markhouse common located at the Western end of Queens road. Both open spaces were lost in the 19th century when the land was sold to property developers

The Lighthouse Church was built in the 1890's and became a local landmark. The church was erected because of the generosity of Captain David King of the ship building firm Bullard, King and Co, which ran ships direct from London to Durban in South Africa.

By the end of the nineteenth century, Markhouse road was lined with houses, shops and small factories, and had become a busy road.It had also become one of the poorest streets in Walthamstow.

Further information see:

http://queensroadstories.org/years/1910/page/2/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walthamstow

Gate to Mark House common, 1861

Image source from - http://queensroadstories.org/hotspot/markhouse-road/

Click on the photo's to take you to the website

Useful Links
Get in touch

Contact us: Telephone 0208 521 2115  

Email: info@kelmscott.waltham.sch.uk

Kelmscott School, 245 Markhouse Road, Walthamstow, London E17 8DN

Kelmscott School  2019 - All rights reserved