School Attendance and Absence

If your child is not coming into the school you will need to call the school office every day they are absent between 8.00am to 8.30am telephone number 0208 521 2115. Please advise staff of your child's name, form and the reason why they are not coming into school. 


If your child has a doctor, dentist or medical appointment we require a note /letter from you in your child's journal explaining when and why your child will be absent and for how long. Your child will need to show this note to their Head of Year or Assistant Head of Year in advance.

Most doctor and dentists offer appointments outside the school day, when possible we encourage parents to choose these times so it does not disrupt your child's learning.


You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs. You can send your child to school or educate them yourself.

Children must get an education after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the second year they turn 16.

You will be contacted by either:

- the school - if your child is enrolled in school and doesn't turn up (even if they're absent for one day)

- the Council's Educational Welfare Officer (EWO) - if they think your child is not getting a suitable education at home.

You can be prosecuted if you don't give your child an education. You'll normally get warnings and offers of help from the local council first.

You can get educational and attendance information from your council.

When can your child miss school

You can only allow your child to miss school if either:

-they're too ill to go in

-you've got advance permission from the school

There's extra support available if your child can't go to school for long periods because of a health problem.

Holidays in term time

You have to get permission from the headteacher in advance if you want to take your child out of school during term time.

You can only do this if:

-you make an application to the head in advance (as a parent the child usually lives with)

-there are exceptional circumstances

It is up to the headteacher how many days your child can be away from school if leave is granted.

You can be fined for taking your child on holiday during term time without the school's permission.